Sr. Commercial Underwriter
Sentry’s dedication to customers is embodied by our best associates. At Sentry, our associates take care of our customers with a passion for service and delivering business results. To help uphold our premier standards we are currently recruiting for Underwriter Sr – Commercial Lines.
What You'll Do
As a one of our premier Senior Underwriters, you’ll serve as a subject matter expert on projects and initiatives to address claims needs. You’ll apply underwriting policy, philosophy, and procedures to evaluate the acceptability of submitted or existing business. In addition, you’ll:
- Work closely with sales producers to obtain information needed to properly underwrite, price, and program individual policies/accounts.
- With manuals, established procedures, and information collected works on the more complex underwriting assignments. Refers business outside of authority limit.
- Responsible for placement of the more complex, larger reinsurance assignments.
- Evaluate established underwriting procedures & guidelines for effectiveness and recommends change.
- Provide large deductible & loss sensitive program options for larger Direct Writer risks.
- Proactively provide feedback to Sales Teams and Underwriting Management regarding trends and issues within their assigned territory, while recommending solutions.
- Work closely with other Commercial Lines functions to ensure service and quality objectives are met including rating, general services, audit, safety services, premium accounting, and customer service.
- Collaborate with Underwriting Management & Corporate Underwriting on the more difficult reinsurance placements.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the insurance marketplace and emerging industry issues.
- May be assigned project work requiring a high level of technical knowledge. May participate in audits or policy construction reviews. May provide desk coverage for the Underwriting Specialist.
- Mentor other underwriters, give presentations, and conducts training on Underwriting procedures.
- Perform other job-related duties requiring the same general knowledge, skills, and degree of responsibility commensurate with assigned level.
What it Takes
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent work experience.
- 2-5 years of related work experience.
- Previous insurance underwriting experience.
- Completion or in the process of taking Insurance courses such as IIA and CPCU preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of specific product line insurance concepts and terminology.
- Effective analytical, human relations and communication skills.
- Limited travel.
- High level of computer skills
What You'll Receive
We take great pride in making Forbes’ list of America’s Best Midsize Employers since 2017. A lot of different factors go into that honor, many of which contribute to your job satisfaction. At Sentry, your total rewards go beyond competitive compensation. Below are some benefits and perks that you’ll receive.
- To best support our associates and our culture, Sentry is happy to offer flexibility through a scheduled work from home (Monday and Friday)/in office days (Tuesday through Thursday) after we begin to return to the office.
- Generous Paid-Time Off plan for you to enjoy time out of the office.
- 401(K) plan with a dollar for dollar match on your first eight percent, plus immediate vesting to help strengthen your financial future.
- Group Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance to encourage a healthy lifestyle.
- Pretax Dependent Care and Health Expense Reimbursement Accounts to ease taxes on health spending.
- Extensive Work-Life Resources to lend a helping hand.
- Sentry Foundation gift matching program to encourage charitable giving.
- Continue your education and career development through Sentry University (SentryU).
How You’ll Apply
If you are interested in joining Sentry’s team, select the one position that you are most interested in being considered for and complete your online application details. If you have applied with us before, you will only need to provide your email address and password. If this is your first time applying, you’ll need to create an account. Please complete your application and upload your resume online.
All of us at Sentry—more than 4,000 associates—have various talents, skills, and backgrounds. We work together to deliver on our promises to our policyholders every day. We’re proud to offer a full line of property, casualty, and life insurance products to help protect businesses, cars, homes, lives, and retirement income.
Our headquarters is in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, with claims and service offices located throughout the United States. From sales to claims, and information technology to marketing, we enjoy a rewarding and challenging work environment with opportunities for ongoing professional development and growth.
Our bright future is built on a long track record of success. We got our start in 1904 and have been helping businesses succeed and protect their futures ever since. Because of the trust placed in us, we’re one of the largest and financially strongest mutual insurance companies in the United States. We’re rated A+ by A.M. Best, the industry's leading rating authority.
Get ready to own your future at Sentry. Opportunities await.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is our policy that there be no discrimination in employment based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Talent Acquisition Specialist
Thank you for your interest in Sentry!