Underwriting Manager-Commercial Lines
Sentry Insurance is looking for an analytical and result driven individual to provide outstanding underwriting leadership to a team of property and casualty underwriters in our Business Products unit. This unit handles workers’ compensation, auto, property, and general liability accounts with premium sizes up to 500K. The ideal candidate should have prior management experience as well as an enquiring mind, an ability to probe, analyze and provide sound rationale for actions taken.
What You'll Do
As the Underwriter Manager for commercial lines you’ll oversee and guide the implementation and successful execution of our business strategy and uphold continuous improvement through leadership focused on process, problem solving, performance, partnering, purpose and people. In addition you’ll:
- Supervise the day to day underwriting operations while providing guidance to a team of underwriters
- Recommend/implement changes to improve productivity, growth, profitability and the quality
- Interpret underwriting guidelines for larger or more complex files
- Handle difficult underwriting inquiries through direct personal action
- Coordinate and participate in underwriting training programs
- Attend sales team meetings and present and work with sales in pursuing new accounts
Travel to agency/insured to develop and maintain effective business relationships
What it Takes
- Bachelors Degree required
- 2-5 years of previous property and casualty underwriting experience
- Exceptional communication, organization, analytical and leadership skills
- High level of presentation skills to present to brokers and clients
- Previous courses in management or management experience preferred
- Completion in or currently taking Insurance courses such as IIA and CPCU preferred
- Ability to meet travel requirements - 5% Nationwide
What You'll Receive
We take great pride in making Forbes’ list of America’s Best Midsize Employers since 2017. A lot of different factors go into that honor, many of which contribute to your job satisfaction. At Sentry, your total rewards go beyond competitive compensation. Below are some benefits and perks that you’ll receive.
- To best support our associates and our culture, Sentry is happy to offer flexibility through a scheduled work from home (Monday and Friday)/in office days (Tuesday through Thursday) after we begin to return to the office.
- Generous Paid-Time Off plan for you to enjoy time out of the office.
- 401(K) plan with a dollar for dollar match on your first eight percent, plus immediate vesting to help strengthen your financial future.
- Group Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance to encourage a healthy lifestyle.
- Pretax Dependent Care and Health Expense Reimbursement Accounts to ease taxes on health spending.
- Extensive Work-Life Resources to lend a helping hand.
- Sentry Foundation gift matching program to encourage charitable giving.
- Continue your education and career development through Sentry University (SentryU).
How You’ll Apply
If you are interested in joining Sentry’s team, select the one position that you are most interested in being considered for and complete your online application details. If you have applied with us before, you will only need to provide your email address and password. If this is your first time applying, you’ll need to create an account. Please complete your application and upload your resume online.
All of us at Sentry—more than 4,000 associates—have various talents, skills, and backgrounds. We work together to deliver on our promises to our policyholders every day. We’re proud to offer a full line of property, casualty, and life insurance products to help protect businesses, cars, homes, lives, and retirement income.
Our headquarters is in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, with claims and service offices located throughout the United States. From sales to claims, and information technology to marketing, we enjoy a rewarding and challenging work environment with opportunities for ongoing professional development and growth.
Our bright future is built on a long track record of success. We got our start in 1904 and have been helping businesses succeed and protect their futures ever since. Because of the trust placed in us, we’re one of the largest and financially strongest mutual insurance companies in the United States. We’re rated A+ by A.M. Best, the industry's leading rating authority.
Get ready to own your future at Sentry. Opportunities await.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is our policy that there be no discrimination in employment based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Talent Acquisition Specialist
Thank you for your interest in Sentry!