We are currently seeking an individual with an appetite for meeting challenges and delivering results to fulfill a critical part in the creation of policies for our customers. As one of our premier Associate Underwriters, you’ll review insurance applications and evaluate their potential risk to Sentry. If you are looking for a career in the underwriting, this could be the right opportunity for you!
What You'll Do
As an Associate Underwriter, you will work closely with our Regional Underwriters supporting their daily operations. You will work to obtain and enter information needed to underwrite, price and program individual policies and accounts. In addition, you’ll:
- Work within a specific authority limit on assignments requiring basic technical knowledge
- Utilize manuals, procedures and collected information to handle underwriting assignments while referring business outside of authority limits
- Calculate loss ratios, verify drivers, order audits and process policy transactions
- Correspond with customers, sales producers, service offices and bureaus to verify applicant information
- Maintain privacy and confidentiality requirements
- Participate in underwriting training sessions
- Work on underwriting projects requiring basic underwriting knowledge
What it Takes
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience
- 0-2 years of related work experience
- Prior underwriting systems or commercial lines insurance experience preferred
- Customer service experience
- PC skills in programs such as Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, and Access
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills along with analytical and mathematical skills
What You'll Receive
We take great pride in making Forbes’ list of America’s Best Midsize Employers since 2017. A lot of different factors go into that honor, many of which contribute to your job satisfaction. At Sentry, your total rewards go beyond competitive compensation. Below are some benefits and perks that you’ll receive.
- To best support our associates and our culture, Sentry is happy to offer flexibility through a scheduled work from home (Monday and Friday)/in office days (Tuesday through Thursday) after we begin to return to the office.
- Generous Paid-Time Off plan for you to enjoy time out of the office.
- 401(K) plan with a dollar for dollar match on your first eight percent, plus immediate vesting to help strengthen your financial future.
- Group Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance to encourage a healthy lifestyle.
- Pretax Dependent Care and Health Expense Reimbursement Accounts to ease taxes on health spending.
- Extensive Work-Life Resources to lend a helping hand.
- Sentry Foundation gift matching program to encourage charitable giving.
- Continue your education and career development through Sentry University (SentryU).
How You’ll Apply
If you are interested in joining Sentry’s team, select the one position that you are most interested in being considered for and complete your online application details. If you have applied with us before, you will only need to provide your email address and password. If this is your first time applying, you’ll need to create an account. Please complete your application and upload your resume online.
All of us at Sentry—more than 4,000 associates—have various talents, skills, and backgrounds. We work together to deliver on our promises to our policyholders every day. We’re proud to offer a full line of property, casualty, and life insurance products to help protect businesses, cars, homes, lives, and retirement income.
Our headquarters is in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, with claims and service offices located throughout the United States. From sales to claims, and information technology to marketing, we enjoy a rewarding and challenging work environment with opportunities for ongoing professional development and growth.
Our bright future is built on a long track record of success. We got our start in 1904 and have been helping businesses succeed and protect their futures ever since. Because of the trust placed in us, we’re one of the largest and financially strongest mutual insurance companies in the United States. We’re rated A+ by A.M. Best, the industry's leading rating authority.
Get ready to own your future at Sentry. Opportunities await.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is our policy that there be no discrimination in employment based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Talent Acquisition Specialist
Thank you for your interest in Sentry!
Jennifer Van Vlack