Senior Software Engineer
At Sentry, we understand Software Engineers possess a unique combination of creativity and ability that can transform an idea into reality. And software—really good software—can not only help people, but can change an entire industry. That’s what we believe in and that’s what we do. We build the future of tomorrow, and if that’s your passion, then we want you to join our team.
This position may be staffed in either our Stevens Point, WI or Madison, WI office.
What You'll Do
As a Senior Software Engineer, you are responsible and accountable for several aspects of the Sentry solution development lifecycle. These aspects include but are not limited to analysis, design, coding and testing. Our Sr. Software Engineers will be asked to provide leadership and mentoring to their peers. You'll seek to understand our customer and agent needs and deliver an intuitive experience that feeds into back-office processing requirements. In addition, you’ll:
- Analyze complex business processes and requests to provide estimates, develop, deliver, and delegate solutions to meet team commitments as part of the Scaled Agile Framework methodology.
- Accountable for quality from the design phase, including testing implementation and problem resolution, within reasonable variations of the original estimates for project deliverables.
- Apply security and programming standards (e.g., performance, reliability, maintainability) and orchestrates code reviews to ensure team quality.
- Utilize knowledge and understanding of the business domain to create effective solutions.
- Self-driven to expand/improve job knowledge through a variety of opportunities. May lead team in the adoption and/or sharing of new practices/technology.
- Recognize when extra effort is needed and invest the required effort to meet individual and/or team commitments.
What it Takes
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Web Development, or equivalent work experience in a related field.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Experience with an object-oriented programming language, such as Java, C#, or C++.
- Have a strong understanding of insurance and how to apply solutions to meet business needs.
- Track record of leading the design, development and delivery of technical solutions
- 5+ years of related work experience
- Experience with Java, Spring, Gradle
- Experience with C#, .NET, Vue.js, AWS
- Experience with Bitbucket, Git, Jenkins, MVC Frameworks, Object/Relational Mapping Frameworks (Hibernate), REST/SOAP Webservices, Swagger, RabbitMQ, MS SQL Server, HTML, CSS
- Experience with automated unit and integration testing
- Knowledge of CI/CD pipelines, cloud-native computing, infrastructure automation, microservices, containers, and DevOps practices
- Development experience with Guidewire applications
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle (SDLC), including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
What You'll Receive
We take great pride in making Forbes’ list of America’s Best Midsize Employers since 2017. A lot of different factors go into that honor, many of which contribute to your job satisfaction. At Sentry, your total rewards go beyond competitive compensation. Below are some benefits and perks that you’ll receive.
- To best support our associates and our culture, Sentry is happy to offer flexibility through a scheduled work from home (Monday and Friday)/in office days (Tuesday through Thursday) after we begin to return to the office.
- Generous Paid-Time Off plan for you to enjoy time out of the office.
- 401(K) plan with a dollar for dollar match on your first eight percent, plus immediate vesting to help strengthen your financial future.
- Group Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance to encourage a healthy lifestyle.
- Pretax Dependent Care and Health Expense Reimbursement Accounts to ease taxes on health spending.
- Extensive Work-Life Resources to lend a helping hand.
- Sentry Foundation gift matching program to encourage charitable giving.
- Continue your education and career development through Sentry University (SentryU).
How You’ll Apply
If you are interested in joining Sentry’s team, select the one position that you are most interested in being considered for and complete your online application details. If you have applied with us before, you will only need to provide your email address and password. If this is your first time applying, you’ll need to create an account. Please complete your application and upload your resume online.
All of us at Sentry—more than 4,000 associates—have various talents, skills, and backgrounds. We work together to deliver on our promises to our policyholders every day. We’re proud to offer a full line of property, casualty, and life insurance products to help protect businesses, cars, homes, lives, and retirement income.
Our headquarters is in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, with claims and service offices located throughout the United States. From sales to claims, and information technology to marketing, we enjoy a rewarding and challenging work environment with opportunities for ongoing professional development and growth.
Our bright future is built on a long track record of success. We got our start in 1904 and have been helping businesses succeed and protect their futures ever since. Because of the trust placed in us, we’re one of the largest and financially strongest mutual insurance companies in the United States. We’re rated A+ by A.M. Best, the industry's leading rating authority.
Get ready to own your future at Sentry. Opportunities await.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is our policy that there be no discrimination in employment based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Talent Acquisition Specialist
Thank you for your interest in Sentry!