Underwriting Internship - Summer 2022
At Sentry, we realize that getting valuable, hands-on experience is important for you and your career. We don’t offer just an internship; we offer a whole experience built to give talented students like you a head start for your career. From rewarding work in your business area to professional development trainings all the way to paid volunteer time and diverse social events, we make sure our internship program fits all of your needs.
What You'll Do
The Underwriting Intern works closely with a mentor in the commercial lines department to understand what information is needed to underwrite and price policies and accounts. As an intern, you will gain first-hand experience in handling basic underwriting assignments while working with an experienced mentor. You’ll have the opportunity to perform basic underwriting duties within guidelines and providing assistance to underwriters by handling a variety of tasks that support the review, acceptance/decline of new or renewal commercial lines business. In addition, you will work closely with other functions such as sales, pricing and products, audit, safety services, operations, and premium services to ensure service and quality objectives are met.
What it Takes
In order to be eligible for this elite opportunity you must meet the following criteria:
- Pursuing an undergraduate degree in Risk Management, Business Administration, Finance, or related field
- Obtain a minimum in-major GPA of 3.00
- Graduating in Fall of 2022 or Spring of 2023
- Ability to work in a team atmosphere
- Sentry does not offer employment in this position to holders of F-1, J-1, and H-1 Visas for the purpose of obtaining practical experience
What You'll Receive
We take great pride in making Forbes’ list of America’s Best Midsize Employers since 2017. A lot of different factors go into that honor, many of which contribute to your job satisfaction. At Sentry, your total rewards go beyond competitive compensation. Below are some benefits and perks that you’ll receive.
- Real work experience in a professional setting
- Opportunity to unleash your talents and add value to the organization
- Exposure to company executives
- Competitive compensation
- Community engagement through social activities and paid volunteer time
- Free housing option available
- Free access to Sentry’s onsite Fitness Center, which includes an Olympic size pool, full size gym, racquetball court, and more
- Access to full cafeteria serving breakfast and lunch
- Convenient on-site amenities such as our onsite credit union, auto center, theater, hair salon, restaurant, 18-hole championship golf course and more!
- To best support our associates and our culture, Sentry is happy to offer flexibility through a scheduled work from home (Monday and Friday)/in office days (Tuesday through Thursday) after we begin to return to the office.
- Extensive Work-Life Resources to lend a helping hand.
- Sentry Foundation gift matching program to encourage charitable giving.
- Continue your education and career development through Sentry University (SentryU).
How You’ll Apply
If you are interested in joining Sentry’s team, select the one position that you are most interested in being considered for and complete your online application details. If you have applied with us before, you will only need to provide your email address and password. If this is your first time applying, you’ll need to create an account. Please complete your application and upload your resume online.
All of us at Sentry—more than 4,000 associates—have various talents, skills, and backgrounds. We work together to deliver on our promises to our policyholders every day. We’re proud to offer a full line of property, casualty, and life insurance products to help protect businesses, cars, homes, lives, and retirement income.
Our headquarters is in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, with claims and service offices located throughout the United States. From sales to claims, and information technology to marketing, we enjoy a rewarding and challenging work environment with opportunities for ongoing professional development and growth.
Our bright future is built on a long track record of success. We got our start in 1904 and have been helping businesses succeed and protect their futures ever since. Because of the trust placed in us, we’re one of the largest and financially strongest mutual insurance companies in the United States. We’re rated A+ by A.M. Best, the industry's leading rating authority.
Get ready to own your future at Sentry. Opportunities await.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is our policy that there be no discrimination in employment based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Talent Acquisition Specialist
Thank you for your interest in Sentry!