Associate Counsel - Privacy & Data Security
Sentry Insurance has an opportunity within its Corporate Legal Department for a Privacy & Data Security Associate Counsel. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of US federal, state, and marketing privacy laws, including:
- Various privacy-related acts and regulations:
- GLBA; GDPR; CCPA; CPRA; NYDFS; HIPAA; TCPA; CAN-SPAM
- State data breach notification laws
- Employee privacy laws
- Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards
The specialized experience can be in private practice or in a corporate legal department.
The total rewards package includes competitive salary and bonus, a relocation package, and excellent benefits. The position provides direct interaction with senior executives. The Corporate Legal Department is a collaborative, team-focused working environment.
What You'll Do
As a Privacy & Data Security Associate Counsel, you’ll handle a broad range of matters involving privacy and security issues, including:
- Provide advice related to data privacy and information security to internal clients
- Collaborate with business areas to assess and advise on the impact of such laws and regulations on Sentry’s businesses
- Develop guidance on the application, impact, and implementation of applicable privacy and data protection laws
- Draft privacy notices, notice of collection, and other required consents
- Support app development, e-commerce, and digital marketing relationships by discussing relevant security and privacy matters
- Review and make recommendations for negotiating data security provisions with current vendors and assist with onboarding of new vendors
- Negotiate privacy considerations in various contracts, including technology agreements involving the sharing of data
- Assist commercial attorneys with the privacy-specific elements of standard contract templates, training materials, and legal negotiation playbooks
- Review the applicability and sufficiency of existing practices and help redesign programs, resources, and processes consistent with applicable data privacy laws, data security regulations, and best practices
- Assist with the response to governmental investigations regarding data security incidents and privacy matters
- Advise on Payment Card Industry compliance and standards
- Review and advise on implementation of various communication methods, including processes and training materials to ensure compliance with applicable laws such as TCPA, COPPA, and CAN-SPAM
- Advise on information governance issues, such as litigation holds, document retention, and destruction policies
What it Takes
- 5+ years of overall legal experience
- Experience in Privacy & Data Security
- Strong academic background and a Juris Doctor degree from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association
- License to practice law
- Proven ability to interact effectively with a variety of people
- Expertise in a specific area of law utilized in work experience with a law firm, an insurance company, or a corporation
What You'll Receive
We take great pride in making Forbes’ list of America’s Best Midsize Employers since 2017. A lot of different factors go into that honor, many of which contribute to your job satisfaction. At Sentry, your total rewards go beyond competitive compensation. Below are some benefits and perks that you’ll receive.
- To best support our associates and our culture, Sentry is happy to offer Flexibility through a schedule work from home (Monday and Friday)/in office days (Tuesday through Thursday) after we begin to return to the office.
- Generous Paid-Time Off plan for you to enjoy time out of the office.
- 401(K) plan with a dollar for dollar match on your first eight percent, plus immediate vesting to help strengthen your financial future.
- Group Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance to encourage a healthy lifestyle.
- Pretax Dependent Care and Health Expense Reimbursement Accounts to ease taxes on health spending.
- Extensive Work-Life Resources to lend a helping hand.
- Sentry Foundation gift matching program to encourage charitable giving.
- Continue your education and career development through Sentry University (SentryU).
How You’ll Apply
If you are interested in joining Sentry’s team, select the one position that you are most interested in being considered for and complete your online application details. If you have applied with us before, you will only need to provide your email address and password. If this is your first time applying, you’ll need to create an account. Please complete your application and upload your resume online.
All of us at Sentry—more than 4,000 associates—have various talents, skills, and backgrounds. We work together to deliver on our promises to our policyholders every day. We’re proud to offer a full line of property, casualty, and life insurance products to help protect businesses, cars, homes, lives, and retirement income.
Our headquarters is in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, with claims and service offices located throughout the United States. From sales to claims, and information technology to marketing, we enjoy a rewarding and challenging work environment with opportunities for ongoing professional development and growth.
Our bright future is built on a long track record of success. We got our start in 1904 and have been helping businesses succeed and protect their futures ever since. Because of the trust placed in us, we’re one of the largest and financially strongest mutual insurance companies in the United States. We’re rated A+ by A.M. Best, the industry's leading rating authority.
Get ready to own your future at Sentry. Opportunities await.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is our policy that there be no discrimination in employment based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Talent Acquisition Specialist
Thank you for your interest in Sentry!