Sentry Insurance is seeking a Solutions Architect to join our Architecture team! As a Solutions Architect, you will work across the enterprise to understand Sentry’s goals and ensure we align people, process, and technology to differentiate Sentry from our competitors.
You will be responsible for working closely across teams in development, infrastructure, security, and project management roles. You will be driving improvements to software design and delivery with individual contributors and management. Your skills in communicating highly technical details at the right audience level and driving consensus across multiple groups are crucial in this role.
Our Solutions Architects come from Software Engineering and DevOps backgrounds, and bring a passion for technology and innovation with them. Solutions Architects at Sentry dive into code and lead by example in their designs. This includes building and supporting templates, tooling, and libraries; developing training materials and hosting “Chalk Talk” sessions; and contributing code to ensure Sentry has consistent, scalable, and agile solutions for enterprise development.
While the responsibilities vary day-to-day, the goal is always the same and can be stated simply – look for what we can improve and make it happen. This position can be filled as a Solutions Architect or an Application Architect based on the selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
What You'll Do
• Identify opportunities to improve the enterprise and advocate for change. Solutions Architects drive to solve hard problems that make us a better organization.
• Gain a wide breadth of knowledge about Sentry Insurance and our IT department. Understanding what is going on across the organization will give you the insight you need to recommend solutions that are a good fit across teams and projects.
• Keep up to date with industry and technology trends and changes. When appropriate, you will be diving deep into cloud technologies and services. You will be asking (and answering) the questions that separate fads from competitive differentiators across an ever-changing landscape of services and technology.
• Ensure effective controls and technical standards (i.e. data integrity, security, efficiency, etc.) are developed and maintained within the Information Technology organization.
• Develop, implement and promote architectural standards and frameworks, allowing for a flexible, resilient and scalable environment
What it Takes
- 5+ years of related work experience.
- A deep, experienced based understanding of programming technologies and patterns that comes from building and supporting applications.
- Previous experience delivering highly technical architecture visions clearly to non-technical audiences.
- Strength in communicating design concepts and trade-offs in design choices.
- Strength in understanding code and troubleshooting across programming languages. Our primary development languages are Java and .NET but regardless of language we would expect you to be able to pick it up with minimal assistance.
- Experience with AWS or Azure is a plus.
- Ability to work in a matrix environment to educate and influence others’ actions.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience. Master’s Degree is a plus.
What You'll Receive
We take great pride in making Forbes’ list of America’s Best Midsize Employers since 2017. A lot of different factors go into that honor, many of which contribute to your job satisfaction. At Sentry, your total rewards go beyond competitive compensation. Below are some benefits and perks that you’ll receive.
- Generous Paid-Time Off plan for you to enjoy time out of the office.
- 401(K) plan with a dollar for dollar match on your first eight percent, plus immediate vesting to help strengthen your financial future.
- Group Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance to encourage a healthy lifestyle.
- Pretax Dependent Care and Health Expense Reimbursement Accounts to ease taxes on health spending.
- Extensive Work-Life Resources to lend a helping hand.
- Sentry Foundation gift matching program to encourage charitable giving.
- Continue your education and career development through Sentry University (SentryU).
How You’ll Apply
If you are interested in joining Sentry’s team, select the one position that you are most interested in being considered for and complete your online application details. If you have applied with us before, you will only need to provide your email address and password. If this is your first time applying, you’ll need to create an account. Please complete your application and upload your resume online.
All of us at Sentry—more than 4,000 associates—have various talents, skills, and backgrounds. We work together to deliver on our promises to our policyholders every day. We’re proud to offer a full line of property, casualty, and life insurance products to help protect businesses, cars, homes, lives, and retirement income.
Our headquarters is in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, with claims and service offices located throughout the United States. From sales to claims, and information technology to marketing, we enjoy a rewarding and challenging work environment with opportunities for ongoing professional development and growth.
Our bright future is built on a long track record of success. We got our start in 1904 and have been helping businesses succeed and protect their futures ever since. Because of the trust placed in us, we’re one of the largest and financially strongest mutual insurance companies in the United States. We’re rated A+ by A.M. Best, the industry's leading rating authority.
Get ready to own your future at Sentry. Opportunities await.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is our policy that there be no discrimination in employment based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Talent Acquisition Specialist
Thank you for your interest in Sentry!