We value our Data Engineers and the technical knowledge that contributes to our Data Services organization at Sentry Insurance. Our Data Services organization implements and maintains the usability of Sentry's strategic data assets on an enterprise wide basis. This position has a focus on the quality implementation and optimization of ETL and BI capabilities within multiple technologies, some of which include Java, Kafka, Spark, Informatica, SQL, Business Objects, Tableau and SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS). The Data Engineer is a critical component of our Data Services team in Information Technology (IT). This position can be filled as a Data Engineer or Data Systems Developer depending on the selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
What You'll Do
As a Data Engineer, you will deliver complex solutions and be a key contributor in the design, development, implementation and quality assurance of new and existing ETL and BI components supporting our Personal Lines Business strategic data assets. Additionally, you will:
• Provide in-depth input into the identification and development of program and data repository specifications.
• Contribute to the development and implementation of new and existing programs, data repositories and data consumption methods.
• Ensure continuous operations of existing systems and programs. Ensure complete and accurate documentation.
• Provide input on choice of data integration and data consumption tools to build complex data assets.
• Adhere to Solution Development Life Cycle (SDLC) methodology with focus on Agile and Iterative Business Delivery while working with a team of Data Engineers, Data Product Analysts and Data Architects.
• Maintain sensitivity to and follow all IT standards and system security procedures.
• Develop audit testing procedures, debugging procedures, and collaborate with other areas of IT to ensure system stability across the enterprise.
What it Takes
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems preferred.
• Experience with SQL and Java, or similar languages.
• Experience in developing and supporting operational and analytical data stores would be beneficial.
• Experience in business intelligence tools and systems would be beneficial.
• Experience in developing with Apache Kafka to support stream processing would be beneficial.
• Excellent communication skills (written and oral) required.
• Demonstrates a passion for building systems that have measurable impacts.
• Demonstrates innovation and technical versatility.
• Demonstrates sense of logic, decision making and problem resolution skills.
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment is required
• Knowledge and experience in the insurance industry is beneficial
• Ability to work on-call hours, as needed
What You'll Receive
There is a reason why Sentry made Forbes’ list of America’s Best Midsize Employers in 2017, 2018, and 2019. At Sentry, we recognize there are many factors that contribute to your overall satisfaction both at work, and in your personal life. So, we provide a perfect mixture of compensation, benefits, company culture, and resources to ensure your everyday happiness. Below are some benefits that you’ll receive.
- Competitive compensation to reward you for your hard work every day.
- Generous Paid-Time Off Plan for you to enjoy time out of the office.
- 401(K) plan with a dollar for dollar match on your first eight percent, plus immediate vesting to help fund your future.
- Group Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance to encourage a healthy lifestyle.
- Pretax Dependent Care and Health Expense Reimbursement Accounts to ease taxes on health spending.
- Extensive Work-Life Resources to lend a helping hand.
- Volunteer Time Off so you can dedicate time to the community.
- Sentry Foundation gift matching program to encourage charitable giving.
How You’ll Apply
If you are interested in joining Sentry’s team, select the one position that you are most interested in being considered for and complete your online application details. If you have applied with us before, you will only need to provide your email address and password. If this is your first time applying, you’ll need to create an account. Please complete your application and upload your resume online.
All of us at Sentry—more than 4,000 associates—have various talents, skills, and backgrounds. We work together to deliver on our promises to our policyholders every day. We’re proud to offer a full line of property, casualty, and life insurance products to help protect businesses, cars, homes, lives, and retirement income.
Our headquarters is in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, with claims and service offices located throughout the United States. From sales to claims, and information technology to marketing, we enjoy a rewarding and challenging work environment with opportunities for ongoing professional development and growth.
Our bright future is built on a long track record of success. We got our start in 1904 and have been helping businesses succeed and protect their futures ever since. Because of the trust placed in us, we’re one of the largest and financially strongest mutual insurance companies in the United States. We’re rated A+ by A.M. Best, the industry's leading rating authority.
Get ready to own your future at Sentry. Opportunities await.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is our policy that there be no discrimination in employment based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Talent Acquisition Specialist
Thank you for your interest in Sentry!