Data Services Manager
Do you have a passion for data? Do you possess the technical expertise and leadership to provide direction and manage the design, development and delivery of data solutions? Do you enjoy mentoring technical staff and team leads to help them grow and progress in their leadership and technical capacities? Sentry Insurance wants to talk to you if you answered yes to all of those questions.
What You'll Do
As a Data Services Manager, you'll be responsible for a highly talented team of Data Engineers who use Java, Kafka, Informatica, SQL, Tableau and other technologies to serve our business partners and address their data needs. The team works on problem analysis, user procedures, development timetable and testing and debugging procedures, amongst other things. You will lead delivery and be responsible for the quality of these solutions.
The Data Services Management role has a high degree of accountability on important data projects that continue to propel our business forward. This will include collaboration with our IT and business leadership, database and data platform administrators, product management, solution architects, project teams and other stakeholders.
What it Takes
To be minimally qualified for this position, a candidate will have:
• Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience.
• 8+ years of related work experience.
• 2+ years of management, supervisory or team leader experience including project management experience considered a plus.
• Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field.
• Experience in development, implementation and maintenance of data solutions across multiple platforms.
• Demonstrated ability for system design, delivery and management.
• Experience in Java development, data message queues and/or Informatica implementations considered a plus.
• Strong knowledge and experience working with analytical database designs and implementations.
• Experience in development and implementation of BI capabilities, especially Tableau, SQL Server Analysis Services and SAP Business Objects.
• Experience in insurance considered a plus.
• Experience or working knowledge of Apache Kafka, Spark or other streaming technologies considered a plus.
• Working knowledge in cloud data platforms considered a plus.
• Experience or working knowledge of data lake designs and implementations considered a plus.
• Creative thinker with the ability to tell a story with data.
• Excellent written and verbal skills with strong presentation skills.
The ideal candidate will exhibit a high level of leadership and ability to understand complex information systems, possess a strong background in general insurance and navigate those around them with excellent communication skills and interpersonal savvy.
What You'll Receive
There is a reason why Sentry made Forbes’ list of America’s Best Midsize Employers in 2017, 2018, and 2019. At Sentry, we recognize there are many factors that contribute to your overall satisfaction both at work, and in your personal life. So, we provide a perfect mixture of compensation, benefits, company culture, and resources to ensure your everyday happiness. Below are some benefits that you’ll receive.
- Competitive compensation to reward you for your hard work every day.
- Generous Paid-Time Off Plan for you to enjoy time out of the office.
- 401(K) plan with a dollar for dollar match on your first eight percent, plus immediate vesting to help fund your future.
- Group Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance to encourage a healthy lifestyle.
- Pretax Dependent Care and Health Expense Reimbursement Accounts to ease taxes on health spending.
- Extensive Work-Life Resources to lend a helping hand.
- Volunteer Time Off so you can dedicate time to the community.
- Sentry Foundation gift matching program to encourage charitable giving.
How You’ll Apply
If you are interested in joining Sentry’s team, select the one position that you are most interested in being considered for and complete your online application details. If you have applied with us before, you will only need to provide your email address and password. If this is your first time applying, you’ll need to create an account. Please complete your application and upload your resume online.
All of us at Sentry—more than 4,000 associates—have various talents, skills, and backgrounds. We work together to deliver on our promises to our policyholders every day. We’re proud to offer a full line of property, casualty, and life insurance products to help protect businesses, cars, homes, lives, and retirement income.
Our headquarters is in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, with claims and service offices located throughout the United States. From sales to claims, and information technology to marketing, we enjoy a rewarding and challenging work environment with opportunities for ongoing professional development and growth.
Our bright future is built on a long track record of success. We got our start in 1904 and have been helping businesses succeed and protect their futures ever since. Because of the trust placed in us, we’re one of the largest and financially strongest mutual insurance companies in the United States. We’re rated A+ by A.M. Best, the industry's leading rating authority.
Get ready to own your future at Sentry. Opportunities await.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is our policy that there be no discrimination in employment based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Talent Acquisition Specialist
Thank you for your interest in Sentry!