Software Engineer - Machine Learning
We have a new opportunity as a Machine Learning Engineer on Sentry’s Data team! In this role, you will apply both software engineering skills and machine learning aptitude to bridge the gap between data science and information technology and build machine learning systems, workflows, and applications. You will need to understand and help optimize analytics modeling projects and assist in deploying models for both batch and real-time operations. You will have the opportunity to help improve and extend internal software products related to machine learning through an agile project management methodology!
What You'll Do
• Create prototypes and proof-of-concept models that can then be leveraged by teams within and outside of IT.
• Support and extend the machine learning technology infrastructure. This can include internal as well as cloud-based technologies.
• Provide primary production support, corrects defects, and adds enhancements to the machine learning portal. Develop new functionality while operating in an agile work environment.
• Contribute to and help develop machine learning processes and patterns.
• Collaborate with Advanced Analytics team members, solutions architects, and data administrators to help define the workflow and patterns that increase ease and efficiency of machine learning model development, deployment and consumption in both non-production and production settings.
• Integrate the core machine learning model execution into the larger IT environment to address areas such as data ingest, security, performance, and logging.
• Develop and contribute to machine learning projects. Within Information Technology, evaluates potential areas where machine learning could be deployed to improve IT performance and efficiency.
• Work closely with Advanced Analytics team members to understand core insurance model goals and operations and contributes to making machine learning projects faster, more accurate, and more resilient.
• Evaluate machine learning technologies and stay abreast of new developments in the rapidly changing AI and ML landscape.
• Strive to understand and separate out the truly new paradigms versus a copy of existing work and articulate where these developments can be leveraged to improve Sentry’s machine learning operations.
What it Takes
• Bachelors Degree or equivalent work experience
• Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems preferred. Coursework or other demonstrated interest and/or experience in machine learning considered beneficial.
• Related work experience.
• Previous platform administration or application development experience with exposure to Agile and DevOps practices beneficial.
o Programming experience with C# and MVC
o Model development experience with Python and R a plus
• Good communication skills (written and oral).
• Demonstrated sense of logic, decision making and problem resolution skills.
• Ability to work collaboratively a part of a team.
• Ability to work on-call hours.
What You'll Receive
There is a reason why Sentry made Forbes’ list of America’s Best Midsize Employers in 2017, 2018, and 2019. At Sentry, we recognize there are many factors that contribute to your overall satisfaction both at work, and in your personal life. So, we provide a perfect mixture of compensation, benefits, company culture, and resources to ensure your everyday happiness. Below are some benefits that you’ll receive.
- Competitive compensation to reward you for your hard work every day.
- Generous Paid-Time Off Plan for you to enjoy time out of the office.
- 401(K) plan with a dollar for dollar match on your first eight percent, plus immediate vesting to help fund your future.
- Group Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance to encourage a healthy lifestyle.
- Pretax Dependent Care and Health Expense Reimbursement Accounts to ease taxes on health spending.
- Extensive Work-Life Resources to lend a helping hand.
- Volunteer Time Off so you can dedicate time to the community.
- Sentry Foundation gift matching program to encourage charitable giving.
How You’ll Apply
If you are interested in joining Sentry’s team, select the one position that you are most interested in being considered for and complete your online application details. If you have applied with us before, you will only need to provide your email address and password. If this is your first time applying, you’ll need to create an account. Please complete your application and upload your resume online.
All of us at Sentry—more than 4,000 associates—have various talents, skills, and backgrounds. We work together to deliver on our promises to our policyholders every day. We’re proud to offer a full line of property, casualty, and life insurance products to help protect businesses, cars, homes, lives, and retirement income.
Our headquarters is in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, with claims and service offices located throughout the United States. From sales to claims, and information technology to marketing, we enjoy a rewarding and challenging work environment with opportunities for ongoing professional development and growth.
Our bright future is built on a long track record of success. We got our start in 1904 and have been helping businesses succeed and protect their futures ever since. Because of the trust placed in us, we’re one of the largest and financially strongest mutual insurance companies in the United States. We’re rated A+ by A.M. Best, the industry's leading rating authority.
Get ready to own your future at Sentry. Opportunities await.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is our policy that there be no discrimination in employment based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Talent Acquisition Specialist
Thank you for your interest in Sentry!