Sentry’s dedication to customer service is embodied by our best employees. At Sentry, our associates take care of our customers with a passion for service and delivering business results. We are currently looking for an analytical and result driven individual to provide outstanding underwriting leadership to a team of property and casualty underwriters in our Montgomery, AL regional office. This unit handles workers’ compensation, auto, property, and general liability accounts with premium sizes up to $500K. The ideal candidate should have prior management experience as well as an inquiring mind, an ability to probe, analyze and provide sound rationale for actions taken.
What You'll Do
As the Underwriter Manager for commercial lines you’ll oversee and guide the implementation and successful execution of our business strategy and uphold continuous improvement through leadership focused on process, problem solving, performance, partnering, purpose and people. In addition you’ll:
• Supervise the day to day underwriting operations while providing guidance to a team of underwriters
• Recommend/implement changes to improve productivity, growth, profitability and quality
• Interpret underwriting guidelines for larger or more complex files
• Handle difficult underwriting inquiries through direct personal action
• Coordinate and participate in underwriting training programs
• Attend sales team meetings and present and work with sales in pursuing new accounts
• Travel to agency/insured to develop and maintain effective business relationships
What it Takes
• Bachelors Degree required
• 7-10 years of previous property and casualty underwriting experience.
• Exceptional communication, organization, analytical and leadership skills
• High level of presentation skills to present to brokers and clients
• Previous courses in management or management experience preferred
• Completion in or currently taking Insurance courses such as IIA and CPCU preferred
• Ability to meet travel requirements – 5% of time.
What You'll Receive
There is a reason why Sentry made Forbes’ list of America’s Best Midsize Employers in 2017 and 2018. At Sentry, we recognize there are many factors that contribute to your overall satisfaction both at work, and in your personal life. So, we provide a perfect mixture of compensation, benefits, company culture, and resources to ensure your everyday happiness. Below are some benefits that you’ll receive.
- Competitive compensation to reward you for your hard work every day.
- Generous Paid-Time Off Plan for you to enjoy time out of the office.
- 401(K) plan with a dollar for dollar match on your first eight percent, plus immediate vesting to help fund your future.
- Group Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance to encourage a healthy lifestyle.
- Pretax Dependent Care and Health Expense Reimbursement Accounts to ease taxes on health spending.
- Extensive Work-Life Resources to lend a helping hand.
- Volunteer Time Off so you can dedicate time to the community.
- Sentry Foundation gift matching program to encourage charitable giving.
How You’ll Apply
If you are interested in joining Sentry’s team, select the one position that you are most interested in being considered for and complete your online application details. If you have applied with us before, you will only need to provide your email address and password. If this is your first time applying, you’ll need to create an account. Please upload your resume directly, in addition to completing your online application details.
Who You’ll Want to Contact
Apryl Marti at 6186551707
All of us at Sentry—more than 4,000 associates—have various talents, skills, and backgrounds. We work together to deliver on our promises to our policyholders every day. We’re proud to offer a full line of property, casualty, and life insurance products to help protect businesses, cars, homes, lives, and retirement income.
Our headquarters is in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, with claims and service offices located throughout the United States. From sales to claims, and information technology to marketing, we enjoy a rewarding and challenging work environment with opportunities for ongoing professional development and growth.
Our bright future is built on a long track record of success. We got our start in 1904 and have been helping businesses succeed and protect their futures ever since. Because of the trust placed in us, we’re one of the largest and financially strongest mutual insurance companies in the United States. We’re rated A+ by A.M. Best, the industry's leading rating authority.
Get ready to own your future at Sentry. Opportunities await.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is our policy that there be no discrimination in employment based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, marital status, or sexual orientation.