At Sentry, we rely on technology to move our business forward. Therefore, we rely on skilled individuals to combine technical knowledge and creative ideas to drive improvement. Our goal is to provide leading information, data processing, communications, process enhancements, and systems to support business and management activities. You can contribute with an ability to solve business problems, learn new technologies, and leverage critical thinking skills to evaluate the long-term implications of technical decisions. This position may be filled as a Software Developer or Software Engineer depending on the related experience and qualifications of the selected candidate.
If you have a passion for technology, continuous improvement and learning, and making positive contributions to your team, then this is a great opportunity for you!
What You'll Do
As a Software Engineer, you will contribute to the Personal Lines agile development team. You will be responsible for several aspects of the solution development lifecycle, including analysis, design, coding, and testing.
Additionally, you will:
- Analyze business processes and requests to provide estimates, develop, and deliver solutions per the project methodology.
- Demonstrate willingness to learn the business domain and use knowledge to enhance work products.
- Expand job knowledge through assignments, collaborate with associates, participate in training and development opportunities, maintain personal networks, and participate in professional organizations.
- Work on application quality from inception to implementation, including manual and automated testing.
Apply security and programming standards (e.g., performance, reliability, maintainability) and participate in code reviews to ensure quality.
What it Takes
What you can bring to the table to be considered for this opportunity:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Web Development, or equivalent work experience in a related field.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Previous experience with an object-oriented programming language, such as Java, C#, or C++.
- 2+ years of related work experience
- Development experience with Guidewire PolicyCenter or BillingCenter
- Experience with the following technologies
- JPA, Hibernate
- Web Services (including SOAP and REST)
- jQuery, Angular, Bootstrap, CSS, HTML
- Bitbucket, Git, Jenkins, Ivy
- SQL Server 2012 or later
- Experience with automated unit and integration testing
- Strong understanding of insurance and how to apply appropriate solutions to meet business needs.
- Track record of participating in the design, development, and delivery of technical solutions.
What You'll Receive
There is a reason why Sentry made Forbes’ list of America’s Best Midsize Employers in 2017 and 2018. At Sentry, we recognize there are many factors that contribute to your overall satisfaction both at work, and in your personal life. So, we provide a perfect mixture of compensation, benefits, company culture, and resources to ensure your everyday happiness. Below are some benefits that you’ll receive.
- Competitive compensation to reward you for your hard work every day.
- Generous Paid-Time Off Plan for you to enjoy time out of the office.
- 401(K) plan with a dollar for dollar match on your first eight percent, plus immediate vesting to help fund your future.
- Group Medical, Dental, Vision and Life insurance to encourage a healthy lifestyle.
- Pretax Dependent Care and Health Expense Reimbursement Accounts to ease taxes on health spending.
- Extensive Work-Life Resources to lend a helping hand.
- Volunteer Time Off so you can dedicate time to the community.
- Sentry Foundation gift matching program to encourage charitable giving.
How You’ll Apply
If you are interested in joining Sentry’s team, select the one position that you are most interested in being considered for and complete your online application details. If you have applied with us before, you will only need to provide your email address and password. If this is your first time applying, you’ll need to create an account. Please upload your resume directly, in addition to completing your online application details.
Who You’ll Want to Contact
All of us at Sentry—more than 4,000 associates—have various talents, skills, and backgrounds. We work together to deliver on our promises to our policyholders every day. We’re proud to offer a full line of property, casualty, and life insurance products to help protect businesses, cars, homes, lives, and retirement income.
Our headquarters is in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, with claims and service offices located throughout the United States. From sales to claims, and information technology to marketing, we enjoy a rewarding and challenging work environment with opportunities for ongoing professional development and growth.
Our bright future is built on a long track record of success. We got our start in 1904 and have been helping businesses succeed and protect their futures ever since. Because of the trust placed in us, we’re one of the largest and financially strongest mutual insurance companies in the United States. We’re rated A+ by A.M. Best, the industry's leading rating authority.
Get ready to own your future at Sentry. Opportunities await.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is our policy that there be no discrimination in employment based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, marital status, or sexual orientation.