Commercial Underwriter Specialist
We are currently seeking result driven individuals to fulfill a critical part in the production and underwriting of policies. As one of our premier Underwriters, you’ll be part of a team that stimulates production through independent agencies and then reviews insurance applications and evaluates their potential risk to Sentry.
What You'll Do
Our Underwriters within Sentry’s Regional unit work closely with independent agents to underwrite, price and program individual policies/accounts. This position resides in the Montgomery, AL office. You will:
- Underwrite multi-line accounts
- Proactively provide feedback to sales teams and underwriting management regarding trends and issues within their assigned territory, and provide solutions
- Work with other business functions to ensure service and quality objectives are met
- Demonstrate an understanding of the insurance marketplace and emerging industry issues
- Complete assigned project work requiring a high level of technical knowledge
- Perform other job related duties including training, presenting, attending sales meetings, traveling to agents, participating in audits, and covering desks for other Underwriters
What it Takes
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent work experience
- 5-8 years of related work experience including Construction Industry underwriting experience
- Previous Commercial Property Casualty insurance underwriting experience
- Completed insurance courses such as IIA and/or CPCU preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of commercial multi-line product line insurance concepts and terminology
- Excellent analytical, human relations and communication skills
- Ability to meet limited travel requirements
What You'll Receive
Sentry's excellent benefits package is designed to meet today's most important needs. Benefits for full-time Sentry Insurance employees include:
- Competitive Compensation
- Group Medical, Dental, Vision and Life
- 401 (K) plan with a dollar-for-dollar match on your first six percent
- Comprehensive paid training
- Generous Paid-Time Off Plan
- Pretax Dependent Care and Health Expense Reimbursement Accounts
How You’ll Apply
Sentry Insurance has an online employment application. In order to complete it, you need to apply for a specific position. We ask that you apply for one position at a time with us; so if you are interested in several positions, please determine the position in which you are most interested and apply for that position first. If you are not selected for your first choice, we invite you to apply for the next job in which you are interested.
If this is the first time you have applied for a position at Sentry, you will be asked to register. Returning applicants will only need to provide their email address and password.
Who You’ll Want to Contact
Sentry Insurance is one of the largest and strongest mutual insurance companies in the United States, holding an A+ (superior) rating from A.M. Best. The company and its subsidiaries sell property and casualty insurance, life insurance, annuities and retirement programs for business and individuals throughout the country. Headquartered in Stevens Point, Wisconsin, Sentry employs more than 4,000 associates in 41 states. A complete list of underwriting companies can be found at www.sentry.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is our policy that there be no discrimination in employment based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, disability, age, marital status, or sexual orientation.